How to get rid of Roof Rats?
In order to bring a Roof Rat infestation under control, inspection is always the most vital and first step.
Though slightly smaller than its cousin, the Norway rat, Roof Rats can be just as destructive for your property. As the name would suggest, they prefer taking up residence in the roofs and alcoves of properties and this can mean that they can wreak havoc on your home, gnawing through walls and insulation, just as the Norway rat will do. Despite being smaller, they also shed dangerous amounts of bacteria and pathogenic material in their urine and faeces, so eliminating a rat infestation is critical.
PEST PREVENTION TIP'S!
- Never leave out any food—particularly smelly food such as cheese—which could tempt pests inside
- When storing food, always ensure it is out of the reach of rats and mice, who can be particularly crafty; aim to store your provisions at least six inches above the floor,
- Block entry points and remain vigilant in the search for new signs of damage which could represent a pest’s attempts to gain access to your property
- Dispose of trash frequently, and always ensure that bins are sealed
- Always clean worktops, especially food preparation areas, before use. It may seem paranoid but you never know when a pest may have spread disease onto your counters when you weren’t looking.